If you could have anything you liked in a sewing machine, would it be fancy with lots of bells and whistles or pared down but sturdy? Would it be single purpose e.g. digital embroidery or would it be multi-purpose?
I’ve been thinking about this a great deal recently and here’s what I’d like in my ideal sewing machine:
- Three types of stitches – straight, zig-zag and buttonhole.
- Clip on feet
- Easy needle clamping, no hard to hold, fiddly little screwdrivers
- Reverse stitching
- Needle up/needle down
- Auto threat cutting
- Slide in/out plate – no screws!
- Easy to load bobbin
- Easy bobbin winding
- Sews multiple thicknesses of fabrics easily, without jumping – almost industrial strength.
- Easy top and bottom thread and presser foot tension adjustments
- Automatic buttonhole
- Drop down feed dogs for free-motion quilting
- LARGE THROAT for quilting – at least 15″
- Free-arm and extension table
- Hard cover or comes with it’s own “wheelable” storage bag
- Good storage for bobbins, feet and all the tools etc.
- Under $800
- A decent light that actually illuminates what you’re sewing
- A 10 year warranty
That’s not too much to ask is it? It probably is but I guess I can dream.