I told you that June was my month in the Bee in Oz swap and I showed you what I was planning here. Well I received my first block the other day. I can’t wait to see some more.
I’ve seen what looks like a great idea at the US website the Fabric Depot. This is it…
It’s a Fons & Porter design wall. It’s flannel on one side and the other is vinyl with a grid and diagonal lines marked on it. The lines show through to the flannel making it easy to line up your blocks. I’ve never used a design wall and at US$18.75 plus postage this looks like a great idea. Has anyone of you used one? And if so, do you like it? Please let me know what your experience of it is.
On our way home from the quilting retreat we stopped off at a couple of shops. One, which shall remain nameless, gets my nomination for Basil Fawlty shop of the year. You know the sort of thing – this would be a great shop if it wasn’t for those irritating customers. It started at the shop door and a sign instructing us that if our shoes were muddy we should take them off to enter the store! Once inside there were signs everywhere. The assistant was helpful and friendly but the tone of the signs was not – “We only cut a minimum of a metre. If you want less look on the pre-cuts table.” And on the pre-cuts table words to the effect – “Don’t open the packets if you want to see the design, look at the fabric on the bolts” and “Don’t upset the numerical order of these pre-cuts”! Needless to say we didn’t buy anything.
Our next stop was Timeless Threads in Mittagong. This is a lovely shop with very friendly and helpful staff. Di(3) bought quite a lot of very interesting pictorial fabric here but my purchases were more modest. The end of a bolt for $10, two $3 fat quarters, a length of gingham and some triangle paper pieces.
If you’ve been reading my blog long you’ll know that I really, really dislike sandwiching quilts with safety pins. So how come I used them for this? Well, I plan to hand quilt it and if I use the Pinmoors – which are great for machine quilting – they’ll catch on one another and I’ll be left with a scatter of purple bits on the floor around me and then the pins will either fall out or stick in me.
I could baste it with Perle 8 thread or tie it like I did with the Appliqué Sampler but I used pins because I needed to do it quickly. It’s working well but it still leaves horrible holes that don’t always close up afterwards.
I started making another prayer quilt while I was away. I used English paper pieced diamond shapes. This is what the paper pieced section looked like when I finished it.
Once I had completed the paper piecing I had to choose a background to appliqué it onto. Here are the selection of fabrics I auditioned.
Of course there has to be LOTS of sewing done at a sewing retreat and this one was no exception. Here are some photos of the work that was done.
In the next blog post I’ll show you what I worked on and where I’m up to with it now.